This is a poem I wrote based off the excerpt from Richard Wright’s story “Black Boy”. My goal is to write his story as a poem making Richard the persona. My audience as you the reader. My point being; with understanding comes feelings. My theme as pain/hurt. My tone being sadness.
I read an article denouncing a man
Who is not of color and this gains my attention
What is the cause for white people to turn on their own
It is his words, his ideas, his boldness which inflicts resentment
What he has to say changes me forever
He writes with a passion which influences my own perspective
He sparks in me a curiosity which ignites a wildfire of
Desire leading to understanding
What I learn gives light to another dimension of life
Feelings which were unknown to me before
Now cause pain, they wound me
These feelings cut me in ways discrimination never could before
I now know why I am treated differently
My eyes have been opened and my heart feels a deeper pain
Let's see what my professor think of it.
My day in a nutshell.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment